jeudi 7 novembre 2013

3 Simple Steps to Help Maintain Muscular Strength for Healthy Aging

For healthy aging, we are told we need take steps to maintain our muscles strength. I don't know about you, my muscles can use a lot of help but the thought of an exercise regime is out of the question.
Number one, I seriously do not have time to go to a gym or even plop in a video for thirty minutes of uninterrupted exercise.
Secondly, I am tired. I wake up in the morning and jump right into the day's work schedule. By nightfall, I am ready to hit the bed; exercise is the farthest thing from my mind.
Can you relate? Whether living by yourself, caring for family, or a caregiver with full-time responsibilities, you know how important it is to keep your arms and legs strong so you can remain independent as much as possible.
The following three simple steps have helped me improve mobility and gain muscle strength. A personal heads up here: you will most likely scan through this article and decide there is no way those little tips are going to make a significant difference in your health and well-being. I will tell you emphatically, "you will see a change and you will feel it."
Step #1 Seize the moments available to you now.
When you are warming something in the microwave, for instance, are you leaning against the cabinet or slipping into a nearby chair while waiting? Consider using that time for a few stretches or arm lifts. Keep weights or a couple of cans of food handy so you can grab them and do a one or two minute workout. At the very least, do a few squats and bends.
I have personally been amazed at the flexibility I have gained without adding a long exercise routine to my day.
Step #2 Develop an awareness of your body.
Have you formed a habit of slumping when you sit? Do you waddle from side to side when you walk, again from habit? Are you continually stepping over items that need picked up because you can't or won't stoop over to get them?
Take time to stop and think about your daily habits. Stand tall when you walk, you will actually feel more rested as your posture improves. Make it a habit to bend as much as you can to pick up items. Sit straight in a chair and breathe deeply. Even if this lasts only a few minutes, you will begin to build strength.
Step #3 Do not always take the easy, shorter way.
At the local store, I used to search out a parking place as close to the door as possible. Of course, I rationalized that I needed to park close to save time. Let's be honest, how much time does it take to walk a few extra parking spaces, or even half the parking lot? When I began this way of thinking, I could not walk the entire lot, or even half of it. I did know I could walk one or two more spaces, and that is where I began. Now I can go farther than I ever dreamed; just by adding a few steps at a time.
The truth of the matter is: that the more time "saved" by denying a little extra walk, the more time needed to rest. Just park a few spaces away at first.
What small changes can you make in your life today that will affect your future health and well-being? Of these three simple steps, I challenge you to choose one, just one, and focus on that for a week. As that change becomes routine, add another. Soon you'll be moving mountains!
Visit http://www.susiekinslowadams.com for more helpful articles. She is offering a free gift: 8 Basic Tips for Caregivers. Susie's book, MY MOTHER MY CHILD, shares her passion to help those who care for others.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7836083

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire