vendredi 20 septembre 2013

Three Muscle Building Exercises for the Legs

After training clients in my gym for over 15 years I have developed a set of leg exercises that deliver results fast. When I say results I'm talking about gains in size but also similar gains in strength. Having trained semi -professional athletes and also working in the area of injury rehabilitation I've been exposed to a wide variety of different exercise styles and practices.
The one exercise I use all of the time in its many forms is the good old squat. I particularly like the heel raised full squat because of the range of motion it creates but also because it loads the Vastus Medialis Obliqus (VMO) portion of the quadriceps muscle which is vitally important for knee stability and strength and power development.
I set this squat technique up so that the client stands on a 4 inch step block with their heels on the block and their toes on the ground. Their feet are placed at hip width apart and the movement is initiated from the knees. Any load is placed in front of the body, whether it is a medicine ball or barbell. I instruct the client to keep their torso upright as they squat down to the floor and keep going until their hamstrings are in contact with their calves before returning to the start position. Usually 8-12 reps of this movement creates a very good overload and the client performs 3 sets.
I have used standing Good Morning exercises for a number of years and like how it effectively conditions the whole of the posterior chain of muscles including the low back, glutes and hamstrings. Most people are very weak through these muscles as they rarely train them but as I discovered during my time working with athletes, sound conditioning of these muscles is required for effective force generation and speed development. I set this exercise up with the barbell across the shoulder blades. I then instruct the client to bend forward from the hips keeping a flat back and braced abdominals. I get them to bend forward until they feel a good stretch on their hamstrings and then return to the start position by using their hamstring and gluteal muscles to drive the hips forward.
The third exercise I like to use to develop strength and power in the legs is the step up. This functional exercise works the quadriceps at the front of the leg along with the powerful hip extensors at the back of the leg namely the glutes and hamstrings. The key set up point with this exercise is to make sure the step block is high enough. Ideally when you place your foot on the block your thigh should be parallel to the ground. Another great tip is to encourage the client to press through their heel as they step up onto the block. This will encourage good gluteal recruitment during the exercise.
I hope you've enjoyed learning about three of my favourite leg conditioning exercises and I hope you get the chance to go and use them in the gym.
Chris Hines is a strength coach and personal trainer based in London. He works with athletes and private clients at his gym in the City. Visit his website at http://www.citypersonaltrainer.com/
Sign up there for his free monthly newsletter.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7386157

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire